A Busway system (a prefabricated electrical distribution system consisting of bus bars in a protective enclosure) provides flexible power distribution solutions for a variety of applications where change and adaptation are important. Products are designed to provide an economical, adaptable system with the ability to meet bespoke specifications.
RT systems offers a BusWay solution from PDI Smiths Power.
|PDI's innovative PowerWave bus system with tough rail technology represents a modular pre-engineered product line expansion into the structured bus distribution market. PDI has incorporated the simplicity of vertical drop downs from a common bus with the integration of PDI’s award-winning WaveStar™ technology for intelligent monitoring and communications.|
Bus system components:
The PowerWave bus system busrail utilises tough rail technology, which ensures your structured overhead busway is not only flexible, but rugged and offers an almost continuous open channel to distribute power. The extruded aluminium housing is of a one-piece design and has integrated channels for both an isolated ground and communications cable for PDI’s integrated branch circuit monitoring solution. The busrail also comes in elbows, tees and crosses enabling you to create an almost unlimited number of overhead power distribution layouts.
Tap off box
The PowerWave bus system tap off box is inserted into the busrail and mechanically fastened, then energised. This two-step process is safer as it allows for a more controlled environment than a twist-in receptacle. Six breaker poles, modular construction and up to 100A of available power enable you to create an almost unlimited number of tap off box configurations. Combine this with our patented branch circuit monitoring solutions and you have the most flexible and powerful overhead power distribution solution on the market.
The PowerWave bus system splice connector allows the Busway sections to be joined both electrically and mechanically with a single component. Cam-action ensures a stable and complete connection of the bus, while at the same time allowing for visual inspection from below to ensure all junctions are properly connected.
The PowerWave bus system end feed receives and then supplies the structured busrail with power. Power is supplied to the end feed via cable or cable/conduit. The end feed also houses multiple circuit boards, which collect data for our branch circuit monitoring solutions.
The PowerWave bus system offers multiple hardware and software monitoring options. PDI’s monitoring solutions have the ability to monitor both the entire bus rail and each individual branch circuit. Power data is transmitted to local monitors, integrated into existing building management systems or stored in the cloud through PDI PowerMap.
The PowerWave bus system can be mounted from the ceiling and wall in both vertical and horizontal planes. No other busway offers this much flexibility.
12 Benefits of PowerWave bus system
- Reliability – Tested at over 200% of rating.
- Traceability – Easy visible tracing. Custom coloured anodised busrail.
- Configurability – Highly configurable for a dynamic environment.
- Communications – Optional branch circuit monitoring system integrated to measure and manage loads.
- Flexibility – Additions and layout changes with ease.
- Low heat source – Compact design minimises heat generation.
- Portability – Move to another site, take it with you.
- Environment – Recyclable for today’s environment – 99% recyclable components.
- Tap off points – Two-step, tap off boxes are easy to install and energise.
- Custom tap off box – Tap off boxes are customisable to your specific loads.
- Isolated ground – Isolated ground is a built-in option on all bus rail systems.
- Visual safety – Visible indicators make safety checks easy and from the floor.
PowerWave bus system power Monitoring
In order to manage power you must first monitor and understand its usage.
The PowerWave bus system has a wide range of monitoring solutions providing the following power data:
- Current per branch circuit.
- Minimum/maximum current.
- Alarm setting.
- Real power – KW per branch circuit.
- Apparent power – Kva per branch circuit.
- Reactive power – Kvar per branch circuit.
- Kilowatt hours per branch circuit.
- Power factor per branch circuit.
- Leading/lagging power factor sign per branch circuit.
At the heart of the PowerWave bus system monitoring solution is PDI’s patented BCMS (Branch Circuit Monitoring System). This combination of hardware and software enables power monitoring for both the entire busrail and at each tap off box or branch circuit. Real time analysis can be performed locally via a local display or remotely via PowerMap – PDI’s cloud-based monitoring. Open communication standards also enable PowerWave to be connected to Building Management Systems (BMS) or Data Centre Infrastructure Management (DCIM) systems.
Data centre busway
The PowerWave Bus System™ is specifically designed for the data centre and critical power market. PDI’s structured bus design incorporates many new patent pending design features with specific patents driven by PDI’s integrated communications capability; their unique Camtough™ structured joint technology and Toughrail Technology™ supporting busrail.
- Communications: Optional integrated communication through provides all the features used in PDI’s power distribution unit or remote distribution units without the footprint and with complete integration to their current Branch Circuit Monitoring System (BCMS) hub.
- Reliability: Tested at up to 200% of rating – our PowerWave Toughrail Technology™ is built to last.
- Traceability: Clearly defined distribution with zero footprint allows for easy visible tracing of circuits.
- Reconfigurability: Move it, re-use it, add to it, or change direction – all this without any waste, and all with only minor disruption.
- Configurable: Lay it out, change your mind, move an aisle … no problem – everything is easier with a distributed bus system.
- Low heat source: Heat is an electrical systems killer. So by reducing its concentration within a distributed power system, heat is more easily distributed throughout with no hot spots.
- Recycle: Made of 99% recyclable, environment-friendly components.
- Tap off units: Continuous bus allows for distribution of power tap off points at any location along the system with tap offs added or removed at any time. (Proper safety procedure should always be used when working on live components.)
- Load-specific: Tap off units are completely configurable to meet your load demands, and specific load requirements including monitoring.
- Visual installation indicators: PDI’s system is designed so that there are visible installation features that allow you to check that your configuration is securely installed prior to start up.